Leave of Absence
In support of Singapore’s regionalisation efforts, the Ministry of Education has implemented a Leave of Absence Scheme (LOA) to facilitate children who accompany their parents on overseas posting to be readmitted into their schools upon their return.
Under this scheme, children granted LOA will continue to be registered as a student of the school. Upon their return, they can be readmitted to their schools directly.
The child must be a Singapore citizen (SC) or Singapore Permanent Resident (SPR), and
- is presently studying in a Singapore school and will be accompanying his/her parent on an overseas posting and intends to rejoin his/her former school on his/her return, or
- have registered for Primary One but will be overseas at the start of the school year
- Primary 1–6
- Secondary 1–5
- JC1 — JC2/Pre-U1 — Pre-U3
Schools will provide the following services to their LOA students to ensure that they remain engaged with their schools and to ease their subsequent return to the school:
- Administrative matters — Schools will inform LOA students of key notices that impact them, e.g. P1 sibling registration, DSA exercises, registration for key national examinations, LOA renewal and returning arrangements, etc.
- Academic Matters — Schools will send LOA students major test and examination papers and accompanying answers (where appropriate) on a regular basis.
- Relationship Matters — Schools will keep LOA students informed of developments in the school and the local education scene.
LOA Fees and Renewal of LOA
Schools may charge an annual nominal fee for a child on Leave of Absence. The quantum of the LOA fees* will be set by the school concerned. At the end of each year, parents will need to decide whether to renew the LOA for their child for another year. LOA status will lapse for those who decide not to renew their LOA application.
*As a guide, the annual fee for primary schools will be at least $39, for secondary schools at least $60 and for junior colleges at least $81
How to apply
- Complete the Application Form for Leave of Absence (14kb .pdf)
- Submit application form to the school.
- Enclose a cheque made payable to the school (if application is made by post) or make cash payment at the school. Please do not send cash by post.
- Renew LOA in November each year by submitting the renewal application form together with the required payment.
You may like to know
Singaporeans returning from overseas who do not have a school place reserved for them may still approach MOE to facilitate their school admission. Alternatively, they can approach the schools directly to seek admission if they have some preferred schools in mind. For more information go to Singaporeans Returning Home page.